Our Concrete Home
Our blog chronicles our adventures around our 1952 concrete block house.
Shredded Carrot Salad with a kick
- Published on Tuesday, 22 April 2014
I found the perfect dish to take to a BBQ or summer potluck. It’s delicious, healthy and travels well. You can make it ahead of time and the flavors will only intensify.
I took it to Easter dinner because I thought it was a fun play on the bunny holiday, BUT it is so much more. I plan on making it a lot this summer when I...
Kitchen Grout Update: Well that didn’t last long
- Published on Monday, 21 April 2014
Over the weekend, I noticed my grout stain has rubbed off on the areas of our counter that are frequently wet. On either side of sink and also around it’s rim.
Drat. It lasted only three months.
I still have a half a bottle of the Grout Renew Colorant so I am going to assume the issue was user error (mine) and give the product...
DIY: 40th Birthday Button (with a free download!)
- Published on Thursday, 17 April 2014
Sometimes I forget I don’t have to make a project completely at home for it to be successful. I’m lucky I have a ton of supplies and gadgets around to use for most my projects, but how about if you don’t? Well the perfect example of this is these 40th birthday buttons I made for my pal Dean.
If you have ever looked...
March 2014 Recap
- Published on Wednesday, 16 April 2014
1. We had a lively night in SF for Josh’s 40th.
2. One of my favorite movies was quoted at the Oscars.
3. Loki received his new scratch post tower from Aunt Marga. He hasn’t left it since.
4. True Detective! If you didn’t see this amazing HBO series check it out as soon as you can!
5. We started a tradition with...
A gasket for the freezer
- Published on Monday, 14 April 2014
Are you ready for the incredibly sexy world of gasket maintenance? Well, watch out because it’s coming straight at you in this post.
But first let’s start with my though process anytime a home repair project pops up.
Visualize a thought balloon saying…
Can it be repaired?
Can it wait?
What’s the cost?
Feline Friday: Let’s all hide
- Published on Friday, 04 April 2014
Happy Friday everyone!...
A Baby Shower Lunch Menu
- Published on Wednesday, 02 April 2014
Nate, Gail (Nate’s mom) and I hosted a baby shower for Laura (Nate’s sister) and her husband Jeff last Sunday. I was in charge of food and decor. I will be going over the whole menu below and have another post about decor next week.
Gail put together co-ed approved games and prizes. She did a great job finding games even...
Feline Friday: A matching set
- Published on Friday, 28 March 2014
Kitchen Grout Makeover
- Published on Thursday, 27 March 2014
What did you do last Friday night? Go out for a drink? Stay in and watch a movie? Me?? Well I painted my kitchen tile grout. (Note: This post is was written in January, so make sure to visualize me working on this in January not March below.)
Here’s the story. We had major grout problems. Stained and murky grout plagued my...
February 2014 Recap
- Published on Tuesday, 25 March 2014
1. Olympics are back! Celebrated with torched ice cream made by my husband.
2. We had another fun LPGC dinner.
3. I went on an epic bridesmaid dress shopping trip.
4. I gave up running for the time being (stupid knee!) and watched NFL hopefuls do it instead.
5. We cut our cable.
6. I am bringing back flannel…
7. and took home...