Our Home from Scratch
We are Lisa and John and we run a home DIY blog. In addition to our projects, we also share our adventures in cooking, baking and whatever else comes along.
Media Center Plans Now Available
- Published on Tuesday, 02 December 2014
Well it’s been a while, but our latest set of woodworking are now available. If you are a newsletter subscriber, you can download this tutorial from our plans page.
The media center plans includes:
Our Favorite Hardwood Floor Cleaner
- Published on Tuesday, 25 November 2014
In this post you’ll learn about
- Our favorite hardwood floor cleaner
- How you can save $3 on your next Bona product purchase
This is a sponsored post by Bona. You can read about our sponsored post policy here.
With the Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday fast approaching, Lisa and I will be in a near constant state of house...
Reflections on the Home Office Remodel
- Published on Monday, 24 November 2014
With the year-long office remodel project behind us, I decided to take last week off from house stuff. As much as I enjoy working on adding value to my home, it’s important to have some meaningful down time, especially when the project is fairly large. You don’t want to get burned out with home projects or it sucks all t...
Home Office Remodeled
- Published on Wednesday, 12 November 2014
Well, the time has finally arrived. We’ve crossed the finish line and are now ready to give you a tour of our home office. It’s been nearly a year since we first started and boy has this room changed. Even though we’re saying it’s done, the room still needs to be dressed up with some decor, but we’ll ge...
Cabinet Door Hinges and Drawer Slides
- Published on Sunday, 09 November 2014
In this post, you’ll learn all about
- Cabinet door hinges
- Cabinet drawer slides
- What you need to consider when selecting this type of hardware
After nearly a year of part time work, our home office remodel is finally finished. Stop back on Wednesday and you’ll get a close up of our newly remodeled space. In the m...
Our New Forums are now LIVE
- Published on Sunday, 02 November 2014
Great news! The newest addition to our website is now LIVE! It’s the DIY forums and it’s waiting for you!
Let me answer a few questions you may have…
What are the DIY forums?
The DIY forums are a brand new area of this website where you can ask questions about your home projects, discuss projects from other...
How to Install Cabinet Hardware Without a Jig
- Published on Monday, 27 October 2014
In this post, you’ll learn:
- a simple method for installing cabinet hardware
It seems that the closer I get to finishing this home office project, more small tasks keep popping up and they’re taking much longer than I anticipated. Case in point: the cabinet hardware. It took me a good two and a half hours to get two c...
New Video: Making Built-In Cabinets
- Published on Monday, 20 October 2014
In today’s post, you’ll learn:
- how to make built-in cabinets
- How to make a beaded face frame
- What the build process for a cabinet looks like
After spending the better part of a week and a half painting our home office, I’m finally down to the last couple of detail jobs. Although the office isn’t officially...
How to Build Shaker Cabinet Doors with a Router
- Published on Thursday, 09 October 2014
In this post, you’ll learn
- How to build shaker cabinet doors with a router
- How to inset the doors into a face frame for a high end look
If you’ve been reading this blog for a while, then you’ve probably seen me write about building shaker cabinet doors before. I’ve built them for both my large built-in cabinet...
- Published on Sunday, 05 October 2014
In this post, you’ll learn:
- How to configure a cabinet for installation and counters
- How do get a deep, rich stain
Well, we’re down to the wire in our home office project. Officially, all I have left to do is add some trim beneath the crown molding, install the baseboard trim and do some painting. Keeping my fingers c...