Our Home from Scratch
We are Lisa and John and we run a home DIY blog. In addition to our projects, we also share our adventures in cooking, baking and whatever else comes along.
4 Ways We Added Value to Our Home
- Published on Thursday, 13 February 2014
Happy Snow Day to all of my East coast friends! If you’re keeping count, this is something like the 11th winter storm we’ve had this season. I’m honestly not complaining, though. We’ve got a couple little kids that haven’t seen much snow since they’ve been born. So this year has been fun, but yes...
Coffered Ceiling Concept Design
- Published on Thursday, 06 February 2014
In this post you’ll learn about:
- Two different types of coffered ceiling options and the pros and cons of each
- How to design the layout of the coffered ceiling boxes using Excel and SketchUp
In between shoveling out from snow storms and salting our sidewalk, we’ve been winding down the concept development portion of our...
Free Shoe Organizer Plans
- Published on Thursday, 30 January 2014
Over a year ago, we completed a shoe organizer project to help clean up some of the cluttered mess of shoes we have in our garage. We don’t wear shoes in the house so we had a good 8 pairs or so of shoes just piled up in there. Since that post went live in 2012, it’s been one of our more popular pages.
Home Office Layout Options
- Published on Thursday, 23 January 2014
In this post you’ll learn:
- How room layout options can be tweaked to get desirable results
- How SketchUp can be used to design and build room layouts
With all the snow we’ve had this week, I had enough down time to work on our home office layout options. To make things easier on us, I used SketchUp to draw the room and...
The Home Remodeling Process
- Published on Monday, 20 January 2014
In this post, you’re going to learn:
- How your home improvement project is exactly like the space shuttle
- How to use the Home Remodeling Process for your next home improvement project
After another full weekend of labor and our home office floor is finally finished. Now it’s time to turn our attention to the remainder of...
Custom Woodworking Plans
- Published on Wednesday, 15 January 2014
Since we started releasing our free woodworking plans to our newsletter subscribers, I realized that not everyone may be interested in building projects that are exactly the same size as the units in our house. Fair enough. So, I decided to open up an Etsy shop and sell custom dimensioned versions of the projects we make available t...
How to Remove Hardwood Flooring
- Published on Monday, 13 January 2014
So last weekend we ripped out some of the hardwood flooring in our vestibule and got started with adding in the new boards. Since we were super busy with work and our Free Built-In Plans, we haven’t had much opportunity to continue work on it. Even though the office floor is roughly half done, it’s probably still going t...
Free Built-In Cabinet Plans
- Published on Friday, 10 January 2014
Well, we’ve had another busy week. Fortunately for you, we’ve been busy working on our next set of free woodworking plans.
These plans took FOREVER! I kinda went a little overboard too. They’re more like an ebook than plans. Complete with a material and tool list, step by step instructions, etc. It’s more th...
Hardwood Floor Installation
- Published on Sunday, 05 January 2014
Happy 2014!! We’re back. Cue the theme music.
A few weeks ago, I finished up my last grad school course and headed into the holidays ready to take some much needed time off. Consequently, we decided to take a blog vacation until the holidays were over. Hope you missed us.
This past week, we kicked-off our Home Office improvemen...
Our 2013 Blog Year in Review
- Published on Wednesday, 18 December 2013
Maybe this post is a week or so early, but with the holiday week fast approaching, I think it’s now or never. I’m not sure how much time I’ll have next week for a wrap-up, plus I want to make some changes to our theme during my Christmas vacation. I actually LOVE tweaking the html and css for our site. Probably be...